May 6, 2021
Love to eat these? But jaw pain is stopping you? That could be a sign of Temporo-Mandibular Joint Dysfunction.
How it works?
- The temporo-Mandibular joint consists of a Mandible(jaw bone) and Maxilla(Skull bone),which is present on either side of the face.
- Jaw carries out functions like biting, chewing, swallowing, opening and closing the mouth, speaking and yawning.
- Muscles around the jaw, help move it in order to carry out these movements smoothly.
- An articular disc slides back & forth to allow smooth movement of the jaw.
What causes Jaw pain?
- TMJ disc dysfunction/Slipped disc
- Direct trauma to Jaw
- TMJ Arthritis
- Teeth grinding (Bruxism)
- Poor posture(Forward Head Posture)
- Anxiety/Stress(Constant tension/tightness in facial muscles)
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) Poor posture Anxiety/Stress
- Jaw pain
- Tooth ache/ear pain
- Jaw clicking or locking
- Difficulty biting or chewing food
- Neck pain
- Very less/Excessive jaw opening
How Can Physiotherapists Help?
- We can assess the TMJ and get to the Root Cause of the pain.
- Provide education on Jaw pain management.
- Prescribe Home Exercise Program.
- Perform Muscle Tension Release Techniques.
- Perform Manual Therapy techniques to improve mobility.
- Administer LASER therapy to reduce inflammation and pain relief.